Thursday, December 22, 2005

Snickerdoodles

So, I decided to be a "fun Mom" and make cookies with the kids today... I was in the mood for snickerdoodles and I thought how hard can it be... roll the dough in balls and dip in cinnamon and sugar. Well, the kids were all excited and ready to help so after washing their hands, they began to roll the dough and dip them in the mix. Needless to say, I guess they have never "rolled" anything before because the cookies are in many different shapes... round not being one of them. With my perfectionist, manic personality I begin to fix the balls and make them look more presentable when the thought dawned on me, "Who the heck cares how the cookies are rolled, we are just going to eat them!!" So, I let them roll them in all shapes and sizes and after making about 5 cookies each, the kids decided they would rather play with dominos. So MOST of the cookies are rolled in my perfect way, but the ones made by the kids taste just as good. (I had to taste both to make sure...=)) Maybe it's because I am learning to just let them be kids....

7 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sherene said...

Excellent choice, to let the kids make their own kind of rolled creations, Kristin. Snickerdoodles should be fun and not perfect. It's all part of the fun of sharing time that's more important than making them perfect. I'm making Amish sugar cookies tonight. Hopefully, they'll turn out as good as your snickerdoodles, since I won't have help.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger billy said...

Christmas Carrolling tonight at Sherene's anyone? "Now bring us some amish suger cookies and bring them right here... We won't go until we get some..."

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks Sherene! I can't wait to try some of those cookies!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Sherene said...

Well, Amish sugar cookies are just a sugar cookie. The Amish part is just the name. I don't know where that came from. I just opened up a cookbook my Mom sent me and there they were. So, I said "hmm, that looks good. I think I'll make them." And so I did.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

And they were sooooooo good!! Along with every food you make!

K

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Jeremiah demonstrated his "circle-making" skills to me today with playdough. I thought about this blog entry. The demonstration I got would not have made for the roundest cookie, but I'm sure it would have been a good one. (He also makes a decent playdough burrito and french fries). In other news today, Emma threw her arms around me and told me she loved me, but pulled back quickly and clarified, "But not more than I love Mommy and Daddy." Then she threw her arms around me again. Then again pulled back and said, "And of course not Jesus." She then, having made all the appropriate disclaimers on the precise measure of her love, resumed the hug. Bella decided that if bicycle helmets were good for preventing injury while on bikes, they would probably be good to wear in general. She presided over the top of the jungle gym today, her pink helmet (doubling the size of her head) and tiny limbs silouhetted against the afternoon sky, looking like the most badass of little bugs. We had to wrestle it away from her at dinnertime.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

You should be really proud of the work you are doing. hopefully our school fundraisers this year raise as much money for our charities.

We would like to wish you every success

 

Post a Comment

<< Home